Decoupaged Map Table {Themed Furniture Makeover Day}

Hi guys!  Today is themed furniture makeover day- one of my favorite days every month.  If you’re not familiar with it, some of my blogging BFF’s and I choose a different theme each month and then we all create a new furniture makeover and post it on the same day.  We don’t even know what projects everyone else is doing until that morning, so it’s pretty fun and a little mysterious too.  😉  (You can see all my TFMD posts since January by clicking HERE.)

June’s theme is Travel… which I’ve been really excited about!  It seems like June is a popular month for vacations so this is perfect timing.  I hope you’re inspired by my decoupaged map table – and check out all my friends’ projects at the end of this post!

Before: Decoupaged Map Table: Chalk Paint, Mod Podge, and maps.  "Travel" themed furniture makeover day - girlinthegarage.net

The Before was pretty basic – a cute vintage table with nice lines, cool hardware, and some unbecoming shiny latex paint.

I didn’t have the paint color I wanted, so for the first time I tried mixing Chalk Paint.  (Annie Sloan totally encourages people to mix her paint colors, and she even wrote a whole book about how to do it – but I haven’t read it yet and I’ve always been too nervous to try it!)  I poured some Old White in a clean extra can and added a little bit of Aubusson Blue.  At first it looked pretty gray and I was nervous!  But it ended up the most lovely shade of light blue.  (I shared this sneak peek the other day on Instagram- do you follow me?)

All of the painted areas got a coat of clear wax and then I used Mod Podge and map paper (specifically made for these kinds of projects) to decoupage the top of the table and the drawer sides.

When applying Mod Podge, be sure to take your time and don’t use too much glue.  Thin layers work best.  Also apply a few light layers (allow for drying time between coats) over the paper to protect and harden it.

Here’s a closeup of the drawers:

I love the hardware but I’m not sure they’re right for this piece anymore.  What do you think – keep these on, or replace with clear glass or white knobs?

Any traveller must have a passport and guidebooks for their destination…  (p.s. You can read about my Paris vacation HERE.)

And mementos from favorite places!

Thanks so much for visiting today!

Let me know what you think by leaving a comment below and also please check out my friends’ projects below.

Other Popular Posts:

* Easy Patriotic Bandana Wreath

* Seeing Stars: Patriotic Mobile

17 Comments on Decoupaged Map Table {Themed Furniture Makeover Day}

1. Paula@SweetPea
    June 26, 2014 at 9:49 am (3 years ago)

You created a beautiful color to use for your table. I’ve also not mixed AS colors but I’d like to try it. I love the maps decoupaged to the table top and to the drawer sides. They add an interesting touch to this table’s neat design. I hope you keep this one for yourself!
    Paula@SweetPea recently posted…Nautical Themed Coffee Table MakeoverMy Profile

2. Nancy @ Artsy Chicks Rule
    June 26, 2014 at 12:09 pm (3 years ago)

Jen I love the knobs! I think they look great! And my original project included maps ! 😉 It’s still coming at some point but just couldn’t get it done for this. Love the color and how/where you applied the maps.
    Great little table makeover!! 🙂
    Nancy
    Nancy @ Artsy Chicks Rule recently posted…Travel Trunk Chalk Paint Makeover {Travel Themed Tour}My Profile

3. Dianna L.
    June 26, 2014 at 1:19 pm (3 years ago)

Very cool! Anything with maps always gets a thumbs up from me. I am leaning towards simple, plain white knobs!
    Dianna L. recently posted…Patriotic Star MobileMy Profile

4. Christy @ Our Southern Home
    June 26, 2014 at 1:30 pm (3 years ago)

Jen,

This is fabulous. The color you picked out with the maps is perfect. My daughter cleaned out my car last night for the beach trip. She had an old SC map in the trash pile. I grabbed it up fast! You’ve inspired me to use it in some way! Looking forward to Haven! ~Christy
    Christy @ Our Southern Home recently posted…Beach Inspired Furniture MakeoverMy Profile

5. Crystal
    June 26, 2014 at 5:27 pm (3 years ago)

I love this! What a great idea to use a map. Love the knobs too!! Great piece!!

6. Sandi Nakoneczny
    June 26, 2014 at 11:14 pm (3 years ago)

Love what you have done, table is very interesting. I really like it and if it were me I would keep the knobs. The map is such a great idea. I have an old coffee table that has good wooden legs and it’s a good size but has a laminate top which I hate, so it’s going to get a make over with a map on top of it. Thanks for sharing all your great ideas.

7. World Traveler
    June 27, 2014 at 7:15 am (3 years ago)

I love DIY projects using maps and really like this one. I’m a newbie crafter and live overseas in Germany, so many of the great products you use can’t be found here. You mentioned using map paper that was specifically made for this type of project. Would you happen to have a brand name? Is it similar in type to Cavillini wrapping papers? Also, I have not used Annie Sloan’s chalk paints yet and just found a new shop locally (I’m quite happy). Also as to the knobs. I used some really neat ceramic white ones with a compass image in navy that might look nice on this (thank you Hobby Lobby online!). We used them on our dresser in our nautical inspired bedroom.

July 1, 2014 at 11:58 pm (3 years ago)

Thank you! I bought the map paper at Michael’s – I think it may be the Martha Stewart brand. I’m not familiar with Cavillini. Those compass knobs do sound perfect for a nautical room! 🙂

8. deborah
    March 13, 2016 at 8:47 am (1 year ago)

love the map work, get idea

9. Claire
    August 19, 2016 at 11:23 am (8 months ago)

The maps have really made this project. I love upcycling with maps it definately makes furniture more interesting. Great choice of map too !

August 22, 2016 at 7:11 pm (8 months ago)

Thanks Claire – maps do make projects more interesting and unique!

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Decoupaged Map Table {Themed Furniture Makeover Day}