French Typography Table

French Typography Table with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint I girlinthegarage.net

I’ve wanted to try another image transfer project for a while (ever since this French graphic cabinet last year) but it took me a long time to find another method that would work better for me.  When I found this table, I knew it would be the perfect candidate for another transfer attempt.  It had some scratches on top but was otherwise in great condition.

Before: French Typography Table with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint I girlinthegarage.net

First I painted the table in Annie Sloan Chalk Paint® in Paris Grey.  Then I found a French typography graphic I liked on The Graphics Fairy website and printed it on transparency paper.  I borrowed an overhead projector from a friend, but I hope to find a used one somewhere that I can keep!

French Typography Table with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint I girlinthegarage.net

I traced the image with a pencil and then went over it with a fine-tip oil-based Sharpie paint marker.  I filled the letters in with the same type of Sharpie, but with a medium tip.  (I bought the markers at Michaels.)  Thank God the boys both took long naps that day!

French Typography Table with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint I girlinthegarage.net

Then I distressed lightly and waxed the table with both clear and dark wax from Annie Sloan.

French Typography Table with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint I girlinthegarage.net

I’m happy with how it turned out and I plan on looking for more pieces to transfer images onto!

French Typography Table with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint I girlinthegarage.net French Typography Table with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint I girlinthegarage.net

Don’t forget the Pinterest Party at Michaels stores on Sunday, Feb. 16th from 1-4pm!  More info HERE.

Related Posts:

* Annie Sloan Chalk Paint Review and Tutorial

* How to use Clear and Dark Wax to Age Furniture

* How Many Pieces Can I Paint with One Can of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint?

25 Comments on French Typography Table

1. Susan @ SunfowerHugs.blogspot.com
    February 12, 2014 at 4:45 pm (4 years ago)

Nice job! I have a hard time tracing really small stuff from the overhead projector. I do okay with the big stuff.
    Susan @ SunfowerHugs.blogspot.com recently posted…Cream CabinetMy Profile

February 13, 2014 at 10:56 pm (4 years ago)

Thanks Susan! My hand was quite sore when I was finished, but that won’t stop me from trying again soon! 😉

2. Peggy Jn
    February 12, 2014 at 5:02 pm (4 years ago)

Wow I Love you did, Thinking of do one my self any special helpful would be great
    I start small. i have loved your blog.

3. Bobbi Jo Voelker
    February 12, 2014 at 8:16 pm (4 years ago)

I see that you printed your image on transparency paper and I’m wondering where you got that. I read on your blog about using a projector for projects and it occurred to me that seeing how I work in a high school I asked the custodial manager if they still had any of those projectors laying around and they did! I dying to use it! Thanks for sharing!

February 13, 2014 at 10:59 pm (4 years ago)

I’m glad you found a projector to use! I know that you can buy packs of transparency paper online from Amazon and even Walmart, but I ended up buying a few loose sheets from Staples that they had in their print center. Probably any office supply store should carry them.

4. Susan
    February 12, 2014 at 9:40 pm (4 years ago)

Great job! You have such great ideas. Keep up the great work. We love it!!!

5. Crystal
    February 12, 2014 at 10:39 pm (4 years ago)

Great job! Love the look.

February 13, 2014 at 11:00 pm (4 years ago)

Thanks Shanna, I can’t wait to try it again! It did take me a while to work up the courage though- my shaky hand actually behaved this time. 🙂

6. Beth
    February 22, 2014 at 12:48 pm (4 years ago)

It looks great. I would be careful about using Sharpies on wood though. I tried it once and could not cover it with paint. it just bleeds right through. I use paint on a detail brush to do the transfer. You may want to test it on a spare piece of wood to see if you have the same problem I had. We all love our French typography now but in years to come our granddaughters will think it’s dated and will want to do their own thing. We don’t want to make it impossible for them! LOL!

February 22, 2014 at 11:15 pm (4 years ago)

Thanks for your comment Beth- I will have to check into that. However I didn’t use a regular Sharpie, but an oil-based paint Sharpie specifically for using on wood and other materials, so hopefully it will be better long term.

• Beth
        February 23, 2014 at 11:26 am (4 years ago)

Oh, that’s terrific. I didn’t know they had those. It was a regular indelible Sharpie that I used. I didn’t know they make the paint type. Thanks for the tutorial. And again, great job on the table.

7. Alice Kelly
    February 22, 2014 at 5:20 pm (4 years ago)

I have my paint and my table. All I need now is my get up and go.

February 22, 2014 at 11:15 pm (4 years ago)

Alice, haha! I hope you find it! 😉

8. Kayla Seah
    February 26, 2014 at 12:45 pm (4 years ago)

Absolutely love this! I could cover my entire apartment in French typography.
    Kayla Seah recently posted…Styling an End TableMy Profile

February 26, 2014 at 2:24 pm (4 years ago)

Kayla, I agree- I’m already planning my next French typography project! 🙂

9. Linda gordet
    February 27, 2014 at 2:40 pm (4 years ago)

Love your work! Just wondering how you printed the graphic onto the transfer paper? My printer isn’t that big! Thanks Linda

February 27, 2014 at 10:58 pm (4 years ago)

Thanks Linda! I printed the graphic directly onto a clear transparency sheet through a regular printer. I put the transparency sheet on an overhead projector and then I could enlarge the image just by turning the knob on the projector. (It’s just like the ones the teachers used when I was in school.) Hope that helps!

10. Amanda Fradsham
    March 30, 2014 at 10:06 pm (4 years ago)

Love the table. Where did you get the little ceramic crown from? Love that too 🙂

March 30, 2014 at 11:24 pm (4 years ago)

Thank you Amanda! I bought the crown last summer- I think it was from Hobby Lobby.

11. Catherine
    May 4, 2015 at 3:03 am (3 years ago)

Dear Girl In The Garage,
    I found your blog and this page by accident.
    Do you know what exactly is written on your table?
    If you don’t, are you interested in knowing?
    Let me know.
    Catherine from Paris (France)

May 6, 2015 at 10:21 pm (3 years ago)

Thank you Catherine, I do know what it says. 🙂 I studied French in school and I was lucky enough to visit there twice. It’s a lovely language and a beautiful country!

3Pingbacks & Trackbacks on French Typography Table

1. […] reader featured project is a gorgeous Chalk Painted Table Makeover from Jen at Girl in the Garage! Jen painted a dark wooden table with Annie Sloan Paris Grey, then traced The Graphics […]

2. […] 1.  French Typography Table – Girl in the Garage […]

3. […] from Girl in the Garage, used the Paris Apartment Sign graphic when she redid a table using a combination of chalk paint and a transfer. It looks absolutely […]