Rustic Jute Spider Web

Well we’re 10 days from Halloween (my boys keep asking about it every day!) – so it’s the perfect time for another Halloween craft.  We decorated pumpkins earlier this month and to be honest I’m not a big fan of spooky Halloween decor.  My kids are young and we take them trick-or-treating in cute costumes (Superman and a robot this year), but we try to stay away from all the scary stuff.  Some houses put out really creepy displays and honestly it creeps me out too, not just my kids!

So this is a tame Halloween craft that won’t look too out of place temporarily sitting out with all my fall decor.  😉

Supplies:

• Wood board from craft store
  • Craft paints (I used orange, white, tan, and brown)
  • Small nails (mine are 5/8 in. long)
  • Jute cord
  • Paintbrush
  • Hammer
  • Sandpaper (not pictured)

First I sanded the board to smooth any imperfections.  Then I randomly painted the board orange (1) – I say “random” because I was going for a rustic look.  Then after drying I sanded/distressed again, then added some white paint (2).  I repeated the sanding and painting with the tan and brown paints (3 and 4).  I also added more brown paint around the edges.

Then I had to Google spider web images… and I hammered nails into the board where the web’s lines would intersect.

Lastly I tied the jute cord securely on the middle nail and started twisting it tightly around the nails until it made a web.

It’s not perfect but it’s rustic-looking, and that’s what I wanted!

Do you go all out decorating for Halloween, or do you keep it simple?

Miss any of my recent posts?  Catch up here:

Gift Wrapped Table Makeover

Girl in The City of Light {Paris} – Part 1

Antique Side Table Makeover

Just like string art?  Here’s a heart I made awhile back:  Heart String Art

11 Comments on Rustic Jute Spider Web

1. Helen
    October 21, 2013 at 9:21 pm (4 years ago)

10 days…..I need to get moving! I love your craft. Both the spider web AND the heart : )

October 22, 2013 at 11:15 am (4 years ago)

Thanks so much Bonnie, that’s great to hear! 🙂

2. Kathe
    October 22, 2013 at 2:50 pm (4 years ago)

A real spider’s web is not perfect so, yours is just right 🙂 I love the rustic look on the wood behind it. I think some houses go way overboard for littler ones. I keep my outside decor just Halloweeny, not scary just because I like having them be able to come to the door and not be frightened 🙂
    Kathe recently posted…You’re Gonna Love It – Week 76My Profile

3. Melissa
    October 22, 2013 at 4:25 pm (4 years ago)

I love this, I have been wanting to do some thread art like this with my daughter and I think she would love to do a spider web, she is really into Halloween. Thanks for sharing!
    Melissa recently posted…I’m back!!!My Profile

4. Shelly
    October 22, 2013 at 5:52 pm (4 years ago)

Just found this on Pinterest & LOVE it! I think this could stay up with all the Fall decor! Thanks for the fabulous idea!
    Shelly recently posted…painted chipboard halloween buntingMy Profile

October 22, 2013 at 11:46 pm (4 years ago)

Thanks for the compliment Shelly- glad you like it! 🙂

5. tamy
    October 23, 2013 at 7:32 am (4 years ago)

What a gorgeous idea! Love the simplicity. I think the kids would love to handle this on their own. Thanks for sharing.

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Rustic Jute Spider Web

1. […] you love string art, you’ll love this Rustic Jute Spider Web Art from Girl in the Garage. What a fun […]