Vintage Handkerchief Art

Brrr – it’s been cold here in Indiana! Like 50-degrees-at-night cold, and then you wake up and your house is freezing. My kids and I have all suffered from colds this week.  Since it’s still August I’d like to keep my 80-degree days for a lil while longer, anyone else agree?  I’m not ready for fall yet!

Now that I’ve gotten that off my chest…  😉

Vintage handkerchief framed as art... So pretty!
Today I’m sharing a simple home decor project with you for displaying vintage linens as art.  I picked this piece up a while ago at a vintage store but you may have some heirloom family linens that used to be your mother’s or grandmother’s that would be perfect for this.

When I got this piece, I thought it was really pretty but I had no idea what I was going to do with it. I’ve thought about using it in several different projects- making a small pillow, for example.  But the thought of possibly cutting it up saddened me.  It’s in great shape so I didn’t want to do anything to alter it permanently.

Vintage handkerchief framed as art.

So I decided to frame it.  I had a large picture frame (10×13) from a yard sale and pulled out some card stock that happened to be the same shade of blue as in the flowers.

Vintage handkerchief framed as art.

I was not a fan of the yellowish natural wood frame so the first thing I did was paint it a subtle gray-beige.  I wasn’t worried about getting the paint perfect… sometimes imperfect is better.   😉

Vintage handkerchief framed as art.

Then I grabbed the cardboard from inside the frame to use for sizing purposes.   I cut the blue card stock down a little and then taped the sides over the cardboard in a few places.

Vintage handkerchief framed as art.

Then I centered the hanky and taped the sides (top, bottom, left, and right) over the edges.  There was just a little overlap which didn’t look too bad.

Vintage handkerchief framed as art.

Then I slid it under the glass and put it all back into the frame.  So easy, and I love how it turned out!

Vintage handkerchief framed as art.

Vintage handkerchief framed as art.

I think my hutch is the perfect place for it, don’t you?

Vintage handkerchief framed as art.

I can also see how having a collection of framed vintage fabric pieces would make for a gorgeous gallery wall.

Vintage handkerchief framed as art.

Do you have any vintage or heirloom linens on display in your home?

Recent posts:

Crazy for Blue {30+ Blue DIY Home Projects}

The Prettiest Little Crate Makeover

Sweet Summer Treats

12 Comments on Vintage Handkerchief Art

1. Carolyn Smith
    August 16, 2013 at 10:29 am (4 years ago)

Hi Jen,
    I love this idea. I was looking for something to add to my guest room and I think this is it! I have several doilies that were made by my grandmother. I think I will frame them. Thanks for the inspiration!

August 16, 2013 at 1:32 pm (4 years ago)

Carolyn, I bet they’ll look gorgeous in there! I’d love to see your photos when you do it. 🙂

2. Mel
    August 17, 2013 at 2:02 am (4 years ago)

That is so pretty, I haven’t done the vintage thing but Im still diying my house. By the way your hutch is just gorgeous! Thank you so much for linking with freaking awesome fridays.
    Mel recently posted…Freaking Awesome Friday #1My Profile

3. Amy of while wearing heels
    August 17, 2013 at 8:37 am (4 years ago)

This is stunning. I love the frame and blue backing you chose. It really enhances the beautiful hankie. Lovely job. Stopping over from Mel’s link party.

August 18, 2013 at 10:11 pm (4 years ago)

Thanks Amy – This project definitely makes me want to hunt down some more linens to frame!

4. Ellya Brill
    August 18, 2013 at 12:49 am (4 years ago)

Ohh….this is so pretty!
    Thank you so much for sharing.

Ellya
    Ellya Brill recently posted…Favorite FridayMy Profile

5. Gracie Lathrop
    August 23, 2013 at 8:02 pm (4 years ago)

Hi Jen this is beautiful! I love vintage linen and am an artist so this is a stunning piece of work! I would love it if you would share on my blog link party this Monday! I am always looking for artwork that people can do themselves and this is one of those projects perfect for a feminine little touch to any room!
    Gracie Lathrop recently posted…Bathroom Reveal at the Boondocks HouseMy Profile

August 23, 2013 at 11:11 pm (4 years ago)

Thanks so much Gracie- it’s a simple project but can make quite an impact. 🙂

6. Sharon J
    January 18, 2014 at 2:02 am (3 years ago)

I have a collection of my Mom/Grandmother & Mother-in-Laws hankies and dress gloves. I want to put them under glass in 2 different frames. I bought 2 shadow box frames over a year ago at Hobby Lobby on sale. Any suggestions from anyone on how to arrange them? bobojay55@yahoo

7. Bridget from cali
    October 1, 2014 at 11:36 am (3 years ago)

Delightful way of enjoying vintage hankies without destroying ’em. I have about a million doilies from a Great-Grandma and both sets of Grandma’s that are like little works of art, but would also be dust collectors left open to the air. Great idea!

8. Carol Gill
    December 15, 2014 at 5:11 pm (2 years ago)

for your old embrodered cloths and handkerchiefs…craft stores used to have a padded board that was not acidic that you could mount fabrics on and they framed so much nicer – and steaming them first to get all the wrinkles out put the fabric face down on a terry cloth towel…..