Textured Dresser

It’s been HOT here!  That’s probably an understatement.  Unbearable?  Sweltering?  With an average of 95-97 degrees every day this week (and no rain in sight) I’ve had to keep the garage closed while painting… bummer.  And spray painting outside isn’t the most fun either.  Did you know you’re not supposed to spray paint when it’s above 90 degrees?  Maybe one day I’ll learn to follow the directions.  😉

Recently I was lucky enough to find this dresser in a state of unfinished wood and vintage hardware, and even the green crayon didn’t detract from it’s potential.  It was pretty much a blank slate!

BEFORE:  A plain dresser gets a makeover with paintable wallpaper, Annie Sloan Chalk Paint, and spray paint.

It needed some major beautification so I sanded it and then pulled out my paintable wallpaper that I used last year on the front of this armoire (which is still being used every day in our bedroom, by the way).  I cut panels for the sides of the dresser and then for the drawer fronts, and carefully used Mod Podge to glue them on.

Then I painted it all in Paris Grey Annie Sloan Chalk Paint.  Let me just say this- paintable wallpaper is a very cool thing.  It can make something boring look fabulous.  But it’s also a pain to paint.  If it’s very textured (like mine is) you may need to give it several coats to get all the little grooves.  I did it first with a big brush and then twice with a little artist’s brush.

Finally I gave it a couple coats of Annie Sloan clear wax, and spray painted the handles white.

Would you ever wallpaper your furniture?

*Recent posts:

Inspired by Anthropologie

17 Tips for a Successful Yard Sale

Formerly Fido Footstool

26 Comments on Textured Dresser

July 19, 2013 at 12:35 pm (4 years ago)

Thanks Jamie- glad to have you following along!

1. Rebecca
    July 19, 2013 at 11:15 am (4 years ago)

It looks terrific. I love upcycled furniture projects. The texture is gorgeous and it looks very classy. I haven’t used paintable wallpaper, but I can think of quite a few uses for it.
    Rebecca recently posted…Pinterest Successes: Accessories EditionMy Profile

July 19, 2013 at 12:36 pm (4 years ago)

Rebecca, thank you! I love upcycled projects too- they’re a great way to bring new life to something old!

2. Audra @ Renewed Projects
    July 19, 2013 at 1:40 pm (4 years ago)

What a lovely visual effect this makes. Especially with the uniform color. Its gorgeous!

3. Ann
    July 21, 2013 at 11:05 pm (4 years ago)

Clever makeover. The painted wallpaper looks so elegant!

July 24, 2013 at 11:05 pm (4 years ago)

Cassie, that’s awesome! We may be the wallpapering minority though. 😉

4. Diana Rambles
    July 22, 2013 at 8:22 pm (4 years ago)

Love it!! Thanks for sharing at my Pin Me Party!

July 24, 2013 at 11:03 pm (4 years ago)

Thanks Jeri- I see you’re a fan of Mod Podge-ing dressers too! 😉

5. Amy @ StowandTellU
    July 24, 2013 at 4:40 pm (4 years ago)

Turned out just gorgeous, Jen!!! The hardware in white really pops, and oh how I love that textured wall paper!! pinned – Amy
    Amy @ StowandTellU recently posted…Tin Bucket Golf Lamp ShadeMy Profile

July 24, 2013 at 11:02 pm (4 years ago)

Thanks Amy! The wallpaper was a bit of a pain to paint, but worth it. 🙂

6. Patti-Ann
    July 25, 2013 at 9:09 pm (4 years ago)

It is A-MAZE-ING!!!!!!!!!!! No more words 🙂

7. Susie
    March 2, 2014 at 1:36 pm (4 years ago)

It looks great! How did you get the ends to not peel up?

March 2, 2014 at 10:15 pm (4 years ago)

Thank you Susie! After gluing the panels on, I applied extra Mod Podge around the edges to keep them flat. Then I painted over everything, so they were pretty firmly attached.

8. JaneEllen
    July 28, 2014 at 9:37 pm (3 years ago)

Excellent idea using the paintable wall paper, great job with having to go over the details a bit more. It’s worth it tho, how it turned out makes all your hard work shine. How did you decide to use that wallpaper on this? Love how dresser looks now, really gave it some pizzazz. The white hardware sets off color and dresser also. Pinning this

July 29, 2014 at 11:37 pm (3 years ago)

Thank you! 🙂 I don’t even remember how I got the idea to do paintable wallpaper, maybe on Pinterest a long time ago.

9. DEBRA AUBIN
    November 30, 2014 at 8:13 am (3 years ago)

Hi, I just finished reading your transformation on the dresser with wall paper. I plan on taken your idea to do on a small buffet server but I just have one question for you. Which Mod Podge did you use (as they have different ones) and also how did you apply it? Did you apply it to the dresser then lay your paper down or did you apply it to both and then apply a coat over the top? I love how your dresser looks, it really is beautiful. I appreciate your help with the mod podge application. Thank you very much for your help.
    Debbie

December 3, 2014 at 10:53 pm (3 years ago)

Hi Debbie,
      I used the Matte Mod Podge (I usually do, because I like that it dries clear). I find it easier to apply the Mod Podge to the furniture first and then carefully lay the paper over it, pressing it down onto the glue. I wouldn’t apply the Mod Podge to the paper/fabric first because it could get messy and curl up before you have a chance to lay it on your piece. Hope that helps – good luck!

10. peppi reed
    August 11, 2015 at 9:26 am (2 years ago)

i have been trying to mod podge the top of two tables with wrapping paper and it keeps tearing. i have some paintable wallpaper and i think i’ll try that. the only other alternative is some polished cotton in a bold green, red, purple and cream/golden hue. it is a big, bold pattern. will let you know how it turns out. peppi

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Textured Dresser