Basket for Dog Toys

Personalized basket for dog toys.  By Girl in the Garage

Today’s project was born out of pure necessity.  You see, we had a problem in our house… an abundance of dog toys.  In the living room, the kitchen, the hallway, the bedroom, usually lurking where you didn’t expect… until you stepped on one.  Here are many of them, but I know there are about 4-5 missing from this pile:

Abby's dog toys.  Girl in the Garage

We have two dogs and they share their toys, but it’s usually our boxer Abby who plays with them and then leaves them wherever she pleases.  Although it’s a far stretch to think we could teach her to put her toys away, I wanted a place to keep them while we’re cleaning up the house.  I had intended to buy an unfinished crate to paint, but they were all too big or too small.  Then I came across a basket on clearance at Joann’s that I knew was perfect – the size, the color, and it even had handles!  So I bought it and decided to make a sign for Abby’s toys.

Abby with one of her many toys.  Girl in the Garage

Here’s what I started with:

– Basket (or wooden crate)

– One piece of 8.5×11 card stock, I bought from the scrapbook paper aisle.  Mine has texture and a little shimmer to it.

– Hole punch

– Thin ribbon

Supplies needed for dog toy basket.   Girl in the Garage

First I made my image (I used PicMonkey, but you can even use Word or any design program).   It’s about 6X4in.

Printed sign for Abby's toy basket.  Girl in the Garage

Then I cut it out and punched holes in the upper corners.

Sign for Abby's toy basket.  Girl in the Garage

Next I cut two ribbons for each side (about 18in. long) and slid them through each hole.  I tied them into a bow and let the ends hang loosely.

Ribbons for Abby's dog toy basket.  Girl in the Garage

Now I have a much-needed place to store Abby’s toys that also fits into our home decor.

Abby's dog toy basket holds all of her toys.  Girl in the Garage

I think she likes it.   😉

Abby and her dog toy basket.  Girl in the Garage

Dog toy basket for Abby's toys.  Girl in the Garage

Abby and her dog toy basket.  Girl in the Garage

Could your house use something like this?  It was so easy and such a welcome solution to our problem.  Now if only we could teach Abby to put her toys in the basket when she’s finished playing with them…   😉

15 Comments on Basket for Dog Toys

1. Sue
    April 9, 2013 at 6:53 am (4 years ago)

By the look on her face she rather have them all over the floor!! Lol

April 9, 2013 at 11:12 am (4 years ago)

Thank you Jenna! I just stopped by and linked up. 🙂

2. Emily
    April 9, 2013 at 8:23 am (4 years ago)

What a great idea and I love the basket. Now Abby know where to find her toys when she’s ready to play…Hope your week is going great.

Emily
    The French Hutch

April 9, 2013 at 7:36 pm (4 years ago)

Thanks Sherry! I agree – ours is so sweet and such a baby. At 85 pounds she even tries to curl up in my lap! Thanks for stopping by. 🙂

3. Sinea Pies
    April 11, 2013 at 11:46 am (4 years ago)

Jen, your Abby looks like one of my childhood pets. I had three boxers. Princess is the one who looked like Abby. We have yellow labs now but boxers will always have a special place in my heart.

I have a basket for our dogs toys but it’s not nearly as pretty as yours. I pinned yours!
    Hey would you please stop by my Wonderful Wednesday Blog Hop and add this link? I would love that.

Sinea (your newest fan)
    Sinea Pies recently posted…Homework Help For KidsMy Profile

April 11, 2013 at 4:31 pm (4 years ago)

Thanks Sinea! Our boxer is such a sweet girl. Yellow labs are also though; my sister had one for many years. Thank you for pinning, I just stopped by and linked it up to your party! 🙂

4. Kim @ Soliloquy Of Food & Such
    April 12, 2013 at 2:03 pm (4 years ago)

Awwwwww. Abby’s such a beautiful and lucky girl. I have the same toy-scattering problematic dog. EVERY time I store away his toys up, my Doug’s world is shattered and he must drag them out again! Neverending battle.
    Kim @ Soliloquy Of Food & Such recently posted…Buttermilk Buried Chip PancakesMy Profile

April 12, 2013 at 2:57 pm (4 years ago)

Seriously! LOL. She always makes such a mess. And if she can’t find any of her toys right away, she’ll look for the nearest sock! Thank you for visiting my blog, hope you have a great weekend Kim. 🙂

5. Kathryn Griffin @TheDedicatedHouse
    April 18, 2013 at 4:35 pm (4 years ago)

OMGoodness! Abby is way too cute! Great idea for her toys. Thank you for sharing this at the Anything Blue Friday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see you again at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse
    Kathryn Griffin @TheDedicatedHouse recently posted…Before and After WednesdayMy Profile